Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 05, 2024

68.A reassuring affirmation

 In the mid 1980’s while pursuing  my  BA Degree in English Language and Literature,   at the Maharajah’s University College, Thiruvananthapuram,  a  close chum of mine,  Dr. Santhosh  (now  well known in the  Malayalam film world as  the Babusenan Brothers) introduced me to  a  book shelf in the  Kerala University Library  entitled  ‘Mysticism’… And in the years  to follow,   I  poured over   several books  including  one  which   recently   a  senior  professor   whom I see as a mentor,  Prof.Sreedharan,    of   NIT, Calicut  referred to in  a  casual conversation.  The professor  told me that  a  rare  manuscript of  Varahamihira’s   Bhirat Samhita is available  in  manuscript form  in   archives…and I  surprised him by saying  that it is available in  the Kerala University Library in print form!

My tryst  with  books on Mysticism   indirectly  prepared  me  to  teach  Indian Philosophy  to the students of the  Integrated  Teacher Education  Programme  this year…The  schools of philosophy  included  everything from  Vaisheshika, Samkhya, and Vedanta  to  Buddhism, Jainism and Charavaka….  A close  study  of  the  different schools  led me to  an affirmation of  the  richness of  Indian spirituality.

A few years  ago,   I  had purchased  half a dozen books published by OSHO  Media International at  a  throwaway price  from an  antique book seller.  Recently,  I  read the first in the collection on   Zen Buddhism based on  informal talks  delivered by  Osho (Sri Rajaneesh). It   was  quite a revelation...In  the  second book  I am reading now,   on talks  related to  Kabir,  I came across the following  quote:

“All the beautiful  has come out of the religious people, the theistic  people…

There are three hundred  religions in the world-so much variety so many possibilities…

In religion there is tremendous variety. Mahavira says something, Buddha says something else, Jesus still something else, Mohammed brings another dimension, Moses opens  another door, and Zarathustra is calling you to see from his eyes. The tremendous  variety,  so may dimension so many possibilities challenge humanity and bring out the best in  you…”p254



This is to me a  reassuring affirmation   of something I was  ruminating on… all these years…and I  thought  I should share it  in my Blog.



No comments: